On 4 June 2021, FINRA requested comment on short selling reporting changes.
- FINRA requested comment on potential enhancements to short selling reporting program.
- Proposed enhancements to its short interest position reporting rules.
Short Sale Reporting Proposal
- Modifications proposed to FINRA short interest reporting requirements, to consolidate publication of short interest data reported to FINRA for both listed, unlisted securities.
- Considered changes to data fields firms required to complete, additional data points.
- Additional data points included proprietary, customer account categorization; account-level position data; synthetic short positions; loan obligations from arranged financing;
- Also, total shares outstanding (TSO) and public float; and new threshold security field.
- Requiring firms report short interest data more frequently (daily/weekly) considered.
- Reduced processing time involved in disseminating short interest data was proposed.
- New rule proposed to require that participants of a registered clearing agency report to FINRA information on allocations to correspondent firms of fail-to-deliver positions.
- Comments on proposed enhancements to short sale reporting due by 4 August 2021.