On 6 January 2021, UK GVT lowered initial short notification threshold to 0.1%.
- UK GVT issued the short selling (notification thresholds) regulations 2021.
- Amended retained EU regulation 2012/236 on short selling and certain aspects of credit default swaps, commonly known as the short selling regulation (SSR).
- Lowered initial notification threshold from 0.2% to 0.1% for reporting net short positions to UK FCA for issued share capital of a company with shares admitted to trading on a trading venue, so FCA can better monitor short selling activity.
- This is particularly import during increased market volatility, the rules will also allow UK FCA to act against short selling activity that impacts on market integrity.
- These regulations are in force from 1 February 2021.