On 21 January 2020, SK FSC stated the amended 5% rule would take effect 1 February 2020.
- The changes to the rule are in line with SK FSC's 5 September 2019 proposal.
- Under the 5% rule, a person who holds 5% or more of the equity securities of a listed company or who thereafter changes its holdings by 1% or more in the company, must file a report with the FSC and the KRX within five days from the date of such changes.
- Institutional investor whose shareholding purpose is not intended to exercise influence over company’s management has an extended deadline, and can submit simple report.
- Increasingly difficult to draw a clear line between institutional investor activities with purpose of exercising influence over the management and those without such purpose.
- Changes clarify scope of shareholder activities to exercise influence over management and apply differential reporting requirements according to the shareholding purpose.