- CHI CB, CHI CSRC and CHI SAFE issued a joint notice on further facilitating foreign institutional investors to invest in China's bond market, to open up the bond market.
- Follows September 2020, CHI CB, CHI SAFE proposed rules re foreign investors.
- Supports foreign institutional investors in investing in the exchange bond market directly or through Bond Connect, and to choose trading venues independently.
- Foreign institutional investors can choose a bond registration and settlement institution or domestic custodian bank to provide bond custody services according to their needs.
- Scope of foreign institutional investors allowed to enter the market has not changed.
- Procedures are simplified, scope of investment extended to exchange bond market.
- Domestic custodian banks shall provide services to foreign institutional investors in compliance with laws and regulations; ensure property under custody is kept separate.
- Regulations will unify the cross-border management policies of foreign institutional investors' funds, and integrate existing foreign exchange management requirements.
- The notice will come into effect on 30 June 2022.