On 18 May, ESMA noted non-renewal of national short-sale bans.
- ESMA notes non-renewal of the restrictions on short selling and similar transactions.
- Follows ESMA April 2020 issued positive opinions on ban extensions.
- Follows AIMA May 2020 issued joint letters to national authorities.
Expiration of Bans
- Finanzmarktaufsicht (FMA) of Austria; Financial Securities, Markets Authority (FSMA) of Belgium; Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF) of France; Hellenic Capital Market Commission (HCMC); Comisión Nacional del Mercado de Valores (CNMV) of Spain.
- ESMA also notes the early termination of the restrictions by the Commissione Nazionale per le Società e la Borsa (CONSOB) of Italy, due to expire on 18 June 2020.
- ESMA has coordinated the restrictions renewals and has contributed to this action.
Net Short Position Reporting Threshold
- On 16 March 2020, ESMA issued a decision temporarily requiring holders of net short positions in shares traded on EU regulated market to notify NCA if the position reaches or exceeds 0.1% of the issued share capital after decision in force.
- The measure remains in force until 16 June 2020, and can be renewed if necessary.
- The respective short-selling bans expired on 18 May 2020.
Other NCA Notices