On 17 March 2020, FSC advised of its decision not to ban short-selling.
- BUL FSC stated it would not ban short-selling in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Follows ESMA 16 March 2020 decision on net short position holders.
- FSC published release re the ESMA decision on new reporting requirement on 16 March.
- It clarified that the only measures being taken by ESMA and EU member states in light of the coronavirus outbreak at the moment concerned the short-selling of shares.
Decision on Short-Selling
- Noted that short-selling had been banned in some EU countries for the time being.
- Stated its decision not to ban short sales in Bulgaria, as short-selling made up an insignificant part of financial instruments trading, was not a market stability risk.
- At the same time, it stressed that it would introduce such a ban if necessary.