On 3 April 2020, UK CMA requested EC investigate proposed acquisition.
- CMA has requested the European Commission to investigate the anticipated acquisition by Mastercard Incorporated of parts of the corporate services business of Nets A/S.
- Followed February 2020 request by Danish Competition and Consumer Authority (DCCA).
- Merger is subject to clearance by the DCCA and the Norwegian Competition Authority.
- Both parties currently offer or compete to offer, account to account (A2A) central infrastructure services (CIS) to interbank payment schemes or specific components.
- In UK, prior to merger announcement, parties competing for supply of an important component of A2A CIS solution known as real-time payment capability (RTPC).
- In context of ongoing tender for new CIS in UK, the New Payment Architecture (NPA).