On 28 May 2018, MAS issued rules on short selling securities in Singapore.
- MAS rules improving the transparency on the short selling activities in Singapore.
- Follows, MAS January 2013 issued Singapore short selling disclosure rules.
Reporting of Short Sells
- From 1 October 2018, investors report short positions, short sell orders in securities.
- Improves transparency, enables investors to make informed decisions for trading.
- Under new rules, investors with short position above specific threshold to report
the positions to MAS through new online Short Position Reporting System (SPRS).
- MAS to publish weekly aggregated short positions of each security on Wednesday.
- Market participants can access SPRS before the mandatory reporting commences.
- Securities brokers and banks to flag all investor short sell orders to the exchange.
- Keep arrangement, for investors to inform brokers when submit short sell orders.
- SGX to consolidate short sell orders of each security and publish information daily.
- Rules effected through the Securities and Futures (Short Selling) Regulations 2018.